The community was named for the fact a large share of the first settlers were farmers. The area was first settled by James Goodin in the late 1700s, by Nicholas Wood and family, and by Jacob Straight and family in the 1770s. A later settler, Joseph Morgan, would build a mill here in 1801. The area would later be incorporated in Marion County as the town of Farmington in 1896, but was earlier known as Willeyvile, Willeytown, and Underwood. While it was officially named Farmington in 1896, when the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad ran through the town its stations there went under the name Underwood because of there being many towns of the same name. The town was also home to mines Number 08 of Jamison Coal and Coke Company (exploded in 1926 and then sealed in the 1940s) and Number 09 of Consolidated Coal Company (exploded in 1954 and 1968, then sealed in 1978), to the Farmington High School "Farmers" and the North Marion High School Huskies, and to several small family businesses that run to present day.


Indian Raid

Here Nicholas Wood and Jacob Straight were killed and Mrs. Elizabeth Dragoo captured during Indian raid in 1786. Mrs. Straight and her daughter made their escape from the Indians by hiding under sheltering rocks near by.

Erected 2010 by West Virginia Archives and History.

Waitman T. Willey

A mile north stood the cabin in which Waitman T. Willey, the State’s first U.S. Senator was born, October 18, 1811. Elected August 4, 1863 by the Legislature, he served until March 3, 1871. Died May 2, 1900; buried in Morgantown.

Erected 1966 by West Virginia Historic Commission.

Farmington Mine Disaster

Explosion in Consolidated Coal No. 9 mine November 20, 1968 resulted in deaths of 78 miners, with only 21 men rescued. Mine sealed ten days later due to fires and explosions. In 1969 recovery efforts began. Over ten year period the bodies of 59 miners were extracted. Mine permanently sealed in November 1978. This disaster led to passage of Federal Coal Mine Health and Safety Act of 1969.

Erected 2005 by West Virginia Celebration 2000 and the West Virginia Department of Archives and History.

We need your consent to load the translations

We use a third-party service to translate the website content that may collect data about your activity. Please review the details and accept the service to view the translations.